It’s only on easy mode, but here’s a quick run at Gladio’s DLC; the video’s just over an hour start to finish.
Life wouldn’t let me start this first DLC for FFXV right away on Tuesday, but hey! By waiting ’til tomorrow, I get more uninterrupted time with it for my first go at the content.
Now then, while looking for the promo image I noticed a few headlines claiming that the DLC “isn’t as fun” as the main game. I’m not reading those specific pages to avoid spoilers, but my guess and hope is just that the difference in Gladio’s combat versus Noct’s is hard to get a handle on. In fact, no matter what the rest of the DLC is like, I fully expect my stream tomorrow to be laden with obscenities before, during, and after figuring out the new combat. So, yeah. Be prepared for that.
Anyhow, I’ll have Morning(tm) things to do first, like waking up, going to the gym, and eating. Then once all that’s done I’ll set up to start Gladio’s life changing field trip with Cor. I’m thinking maybe… noon Eastern time? I’ll put on Twitter in the morning maybe an hour, and then a fifteen minute, warning before I start.
And since no one asked but I just thought of it anyway: no, shirtless Gladio will not be joining #PrinceSpaceman. Shirtless Gladio can wait until I get to my next NG+.
It’s taken longer than I thought it would as of my last post, but I finally caught up on so much of my to-do list!
- Caught up completely on Flash, including the Supergirl crossover music episode!
- Finished the Collection Six of Fairy Tail! (And oh god, is Key to the Starry Sky horrible. O.O At least we’re finally getting to the final act of it, with the Reborn Oracion Seis finally revealed.
- Finished ALL BUT ONE dungeon in FFXV that I needed to do prior to restarting my streams.
- (Almost) done tinkering with OBS for PC streaming when I get ready to start Leliana’s Song and then later DA:O.
- (Also almost) done prepping mods on DA:O for when I get to that part of my Re-Everything.
New and continuing things to do:
- Pick up more of Stolen Throne.
- Start I Am Setsuna.
- Catch up on Voltron (halfway through S2?) and Clone Wars (2/3 way through S3).
- Start Collection 7 of Fairy Tail!
- FFXV Episode Gladiolus and the Chapter 13 update! I’ve been openly terrified of the Chapter 13 update, because I actually adored that sequence it as it was (even with the fact that the plot points revealed were more than slightly confusing). But there’s a trailer out for it (and for a bit of Gladio’s episode, and that’s put me very much at ease. I’m not entirely comfortable with it, and won’t be until I play it for myself, but I’m less nervous than I was before. Especially since it looks like it’s a semi-side entry, not a completely reworked, integrated change. I’m putting the video below, since video embeds inside lists don’t really work well; the vid itself has both Chapter 13 stuff and other March Update stuff. I personally don’t think it’s terribly spoilery, but YMMV.
Regardless of when I start streaming the rest of FFXV (chapter 9 through the end), I’ll be streaming Episode Gladio regardless. I don’t have a schedule for that, but it will be done.
So about a week back I posted at length about finally getting to play A King’s Tale, and how much fun it was. None of what I posted then is untrue, nor has my overall opinion of the game changed now that I’ve finished it.
But. This. Asshole.
This one right here.
I played A King’s Tale for about two hours today, and two thirds of that time was spent on this final battle against Ultros. I griped. I raged. I begged. He just wouldn’t die. Eventually, Brian overheard me yelling for chicken while trying to kill an Iron Giant and started to tease me in my stream’s chat, so I bullied him into helping me instead of cooking the actual chicken we’re having for dinner tonight. A few deaths later, and not even he could get it.
But the time that he played, while I was away from the controller, helped me. It wasn’t a zen… Good god, it was so far from a zen moment. I’m pretty sure I died a few more times after he handed the game back to me, but even then the game was different. Watching him didn’t really help, because he was going through all the same fails as I already had recognized myself. The frustration was gone, though, and that was enough.
I thought I’d get back here sooner than this, but having four days off for my birthday actually turned into doing things instead of just being at home with time to spare. Not any sort of big things; just lunch out, going to the mall to get more Pop!s with a gift card and roaming town in general, then dinner out the day of. Then random errands and Cake Night the rest of the weekend. But still, more time out than home, which means more time not on FFXV than on it.
Right now? I’m trudging through all the hunts as of Chapter 3. Even though I know this time that if I leave and come back, they’ll be there when I do, I can’t help but to clear up as many of them as possible before moving on. That means doing everything available before entering the Leville and meeting Iris, otherwise Noct’s headaches will start and the Plot will be Advanced. Which I can’t let happen, because I’m doing hunts. I need to let Brian play some anyway, though, so maybe I’ll have him do that and put off some of my game for him to have time with it instead. I’ve been trying to find stuff like the Cosmogony books and other lore online that I can drip feed him as he goes without spoiling anything; that way when he gets to Those Parts of the Game, he’ll have some background for what the hell is going on. I was able to send him most of the “ancient” history stuff without worrying about spoilers. Two of the sections needed removing, but the rest was fine. He went through those, and I’m pretty sure he has questions but doesn’t know what to ask that I won’t freeze up on and accidentally spoil by how I do or don’t answer.
Another thing that can work out if I pass the game to Brian is starting on the DA Re-Everything. The first two parts of that are books so I won’t need the game room for it, and/or I can sit with Brian and read while he plays. And, if I decide to include Gleam’s comic, that’s a third part that I can do that isn’t a game. This is probably how I should and probably will work this project out, so now I just need to figure out what kind of post format to use for it and get started. I’m going to work on that, then get a start on The Stolen Throne.
My birthday’s tomorrow! And I have a ton of time off work for it, too! Other than Cake Night on Saturday (which c’mon, that’s the important part) I’m not sure specifically how I’m going to spend the time. Games? Yep. Movie(s)? Maybe. Naps? Definitely. The only problem is that I have the massive problem of still not knowing what theme I want for my cake. Brian’s likely to kill me if I don’t pick something soon, so I’ve got to figure something out on that front. We do have new Fairy Tail to watch for my bday, though! Technically not new, but the Collection… 6? set, which is the last two eps of Tenrou, X791, and I think the start of the Grand Magic Games. We’re still catching up on re-watching the last sets though, so we might not watch the new ones right away. We’re about halfway through Oracion Seis as of last night.
Otherwise, in Bren-gaming-news, FFXV Hell is still the Thing. I’m working on general hunts and side quests in chapter 3 before I head into Lestallum with my #PrinceSpaceman New Game+. Brian’s only a little bit behind me on his save (also chapter 3, but not as many side quests done yet), which is nice, because I don’t want to get too far ahead of him as he plays. Ideally, I wouldn’t get ahead of him at all, but the only way to guarantee that is to not play at all until he finishes each chapter. And, well, I don’t want to wait.
I am, however, getting closer to picking up the previously-postponed New Year Dragon Age Re-Everything. I had a dream that was kind of about my Ria Hawke last night, and so with her calling to me I think it might be time to force myself away from FF at last. Well, at least from FFXV. I’ve started playing FF Record Keeper on my phone finally, after god-knows how many times I’ve meant to play it and just never did, and I’m hooked. It’s super generous for a F2P game, and it’s absolutely adorable. Then again, give me FF6 style sprites on almost anything, and you’ll sell me on it.
…And now I’ve just had the horrible and not-affordable idea of commissioning that style pixel art of my Dragon Age girls (at least the main 4 of Warden Elissa, Ria Hawke, Mika Trevelyan, and my Inquisition Agent Vrania Amell; possibly also of my Surana as well, because while she’s not from of my canon world state, I adore her almost as much as do the others). Maybe if people don’t listen to me* and give me like, gift cards or something for my bday that I can trade for art services, I can see if any pixel artists would want a trade like that. *I’ve actually told one friend to contact all our other friends who may come by to override Brian in reference to Cake Night invitations, to tell them that if Brian said “birthday” that I don’t want people to bring stuff. I just want people to eat cake and play a few specific games with. I won’t be rude and turn things away, but presents aren’t what I’m going for. Also, when I saw most of those same friends last week I deliberately called this Saturday Cake Night and not “for my bday” so hopefully that’ll stick.
Oh! I finally got my email from pillowfort.io that their beta’s going live this week! I still don’t know how the site’s going to work overall (and a lot of that is going to depend on the dedication of the community it does or doesn’t build–it’s not all on them), but from the demos I’m hopeful for it as a tumblr/LJ kind of replacement community. I looked today and their sign-up/sign-in splash page is already live, but since it won’t officially open until Friday around 3pm EST we won’t be getting our beta keys until then. That said, I will have four extra keys, in addition to the one for myself, so if anyone’s interested just DM me on Twitter. Mutuals from Twitter and/or Tumblr who don’t already have keys get 1st priority on my extra keys, then if all four haven’t been taken then others will be up for grabs to anybody. (You can go ahead and DM me now if you’d like, but I won’t have the keys to pass along until Pillowfort emails them out to me on Friday itself.)
Once pillowfort is opened, and if the site works how I hope it will, I’ll be putting any super-fandom posts over there, with links to them here. That means fanfic, if I ever get focused enough to write it again; that means fanart both commissioned of my characters and that I just really, really adore; that means mega-meta and what-if commentaries on games. Probably/mostly Dragon Age, because FFXV Hell can’t last forever. The NYDARe-Everything will be the opposite, though, with primary posts coming here and the cross-post links going over there.
Okay, finally I do want to mention a small thing that’s not going to be part of this blog’s actual theme or primary content, but that isn’t going to be entirely invisible so I’ll mention it the once: US Politics. This sort of thing won’t be posted directly to this page unless there are some major items that I feel like I can’t not post, but the copy of my Twitter feed on the right side of the page will have quite a bit of politics mixed in with my usual posts of cats, games, and random stream-of-consciousness blather. You’ve been warned, or something like that.
*Fake edit: Coworkers have gotten me presents for my bday tomorrow. D4 got me a $25 Think Geek certificate, which I’m probably going to take to the local store of to dig through their Pop! wall. Manager got me a cute Hello Kitty top-and-shorts PJ set. They both did this after asking what I was getting, and after I answered that I wasn’t “getting” anything cause I told people not to get stuff. They don’t follow directions very well. :p
- Games: I’m still fully in Final Fantasy XV hell, and I don’t see myself coming out of it any time soon. The Chocobo-Moogle Carnival/January Update came out this past week, and while I do have some pictures of #PrinceSpaceMan‘s adventure through the festival I’m still working on how I want pictures formatted here. I need to find out if I can link external images into a “gallery” format post or if I have to host them locally. If it has to be local, well, we’ve got some problems. More on that later, though.
- I’ve also gotten kind of hooked on Final Fantasy Record Keeper, something I don’t know how I haven’t played before now. I’ve even downloaded it multiple times in the past, and when I never got around to it I would uninstall it again. It’s so much fun though, and so cute.
- Twitch streaming of FFXV will pick up again when I get my PrinceSpaceMan NG+ caught up to where the original save’s streams left off. I think that’s chapter 6, but I’m not sure. I need to dig through my previous clips and figure out where I was. It won’t have the fun of first-time reactions that the original save had, but at least I won’t be wandering quite so blindly.
- Medical: If you follow me on Twitter, then you know that this week especially I’ve been going through some of the worst migraines I’ve had in years. They’re getting in the way of a lot of things right now, and I’m trying to push through them, but damn it’s been hard. They’ve been cutting into everything, both Serious Life Stuff and Fun Relaxing Stuff. So when I have the energy, I might be whining about that a bit. If I’m not whining, I’m either sleeping or feel well enough to watch movies or play games or something.
- Housekeeping: Like I said above, I’m still working out some kinks of how I want to make gallery posts here. Storage on my free account is… lacking… but I’m not in a spot to upgrade that right now. So, if gallery images have to be hosted locally? That’s a problem. But if I can link them from anywhere else we’ll definitely be in business. Maybe it’ll let me host thumbnails and link those to full sized images off-site? That might be a happy medium, if necessary and allowed.
- BIRTHDAY! The countdown is less than a week now, and my manager gave me a 4-day weekend for it. (I was only asking for the day itself because the month-end/month-start transition is so busy, but she says she can cover it.) They aren’t free days off, of course, but my allowed time off can afford it, even with being sick this week. More importantly than birthday, though, is Cake Day. Yeah, I capitalized that. It’s an event. I told Brian to tell anyone he invites over for that the cake is all I’m worried about, and to just bring games to play and not other stuff. I have enough things that I can’t keep up with as it is.
- There is one birthday thing I’m getting Brian to get me: the next Fairy Tail Blu-Ray collection. It’s one of the few anime that I can’t watch in Japanese, and all of the streams for the show are only subbed now. So that means buying it, and buying it as collections instead of “Parts” gets me more episodes at a time, but I have to wait longer for them. Even though the eps are already dubbed. Funimation is dumb sometimes. (For the record the next set, the one that came out last week, should be the last episode of Tenrou Island and the start of the Grand Magic Games. After that, I have to find an excuse in March for the collection after that. It shouldn’t be too hard to justify as a single splurge that month, especially since Brian isn’t caught up to as much as I am from the manga leaks.)
- I’m still trying to figure out what to ask for for my cake, though. I normally have this decided months in advance for something mildly ridiculous, but this month all I can really think of are stars or the color purple. A far cry from the rainbow dinosaur cake from a few years ago, but I’m cutting it really close time-wise so I’ll take what I can get.